Eman 6.61 release notes (2020-12-07)

User avatar
KhalidOmar
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:21 pm

Eman 6.61 release notes (2020-12-07)

Post by KhalidOmar »

This is a minor update to the previous version as it only contains recent patches from Stockfish development branch.

In this version, I have also updated the embedded network to the latest one used by Stockfish (nn-62ef826d1a6d.nnue)

I have also fixed possible double initialization of PolyGlot book if Eman is used manually (without GUI)
  • Embedded Net: This version has the latest NNUE network embedded in the exe. Therefore it does not require any external NNUJE file to function. You can still use an external NNUE file, but you need to configure its name in the engine parameters
    This version can be downloaded from: Here
  • External Net: This version is similar to the old Eman that I used to distribute. For this version to run, it requires an external NNUE file to be downloaded and configured in the engine parameters.
    This version can be downloaded from: Here
zeroassoluto
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:16 am

Re: Eman 6.61 release notes (2020-12-07)

Post by zeroassoluto »

Thanks.
toni1234
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:27 pm

Re: Eman 6.61 release notes (2020-12-07)

Post by toni1234 »

thank you very much for the work you do really have a strong Engine I wish you success in the future.
indichess
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri May 22, 2020 8:54 pm

Re: Eman 6.61 release notes (2020-12-07)

Post by indichess »

KhalidOmar wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am This is a minor update to the previous version as it only contains recent patches from Stockfish development branch.

In this version, I have also updated the embedded network to the latest one used by Stockfish (nn-62ef826d1a6d.nnue)

I have also fixed possible double initialization of PolyGlot book if Eman is used manually (without GUI)
  • Embedded Net: This version has the latest NNUE network embedded in the exe. Therefore it does not require any external NNUJE file to function. You can still use an external NNUE file, but you need to configure its name in the engine parameters
    This version can be downloaded from: Here
  • External Net: This version is similar to the old Eman that I used to distribute. For this version to run, it requires an external NNUE file to be downloaded and configured in the engine parameters.
    This version can be downloaded from: Here
Thank you
innocent
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:03 pm

Re: Eman 6.61 release notes (2020-12-07)

Post by innocent »

KhalidOmar wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am This is a minor update to the previous version as it only contains recent patches from Stockfish development branch.

In this version, I have also updated the embedded network to the latest one used by Stockfish (nn-62ef826d1a6d.nnue)

I have also fixed possible double initialization of PolyGlot book if Eman is used manually (without GUI)
  • Embedded Net: This version has the latest NNUE network embedded in the exe. Therefore it does not require any external NNUJE file to function. You can still use an external NNUE file, but you need to configure its name in the engine parameters
    This version can be downloaded from: Here
  • External Net: This version is similar to the old Eman that I used to distribute. For this version to run, it requires an external NNUE file to be downloaded and configured in the engine parameters.
    This version can be downloaded from: Here
So many thanks for this release and regards. :)

I had few doubts:

1. In the parameters if you may wish to add the browse option for selecting book it would be a good thing, we can directly select the book by browsing rather than searching for, copying and pasting the file path!

2. What is verbose setting for? What difference it make if we keep it on and off? (How to use it in best way?)

3. And what is experience book for? (How to use it in best way? It seems different from book 1 and 2 option)

I am very thankful for this powerful engine!!
User avatar
KhalidOmar
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:21 pm

Re: Eman 6.61 release notes (2020-12-07)

Post by KhalidOmar »

Hi innocent,
innocent wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:48 pm 1. In the parameters if you may wish to add the browse option for selecting book it would be a good thing, we can directly select the book by browsing rather than searching for, copying and pasting the file path!
Actually, showing a browse button (often shows as [...]) in some GUI's is not something that the engine can do. It is totally up to the GUI to decide to show a browse button or not. I did notice that some GUI's (such as Aquarium and possibly Arena) will show a browse button if the parameter type is a string and the parameter name ends with the word file. That is why I made sure all "browsable" params in Eman end with "file" in their name.
Out of Curiosity, what GUI are you using that does not show the browse button? Also, does this same GUI show the browse button for other engines? If yes, what is the parameter name for which a browse button is shown?
innocent wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:48 pm 2. What is verbose setting for? What difference it make if we keep it on and off? (How to use it in best way?)
If you enable the Verbose parameter then Eman will communicate more information with the GUI about search progress. Specifically, the information about searching the same depth, but a new move.
Enabling or disabling the Verbose option does not affect engine strength at all.
innocent wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:48 pm 3. And what is experience book for? (How to use it in best way? It seems different from book 1 and 2 option)
Experience book is an ON/OFF option. IF you enable it then Eman will try to find a good move from the stored moves in the experience file. IF you don't have a good move, or you don't have moves at all for the current position, then Eman will resort to normal "thinking" in order to find a move to play.
innocent
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:03 pm

Re: Eman 6.61 release notes (2020-12-07)

Post by innocent »

KhalidOmar wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:07 pm Hi innocent,
innocent wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:48 pm 1. In the parameters if you may wish to add the browse option for selecting book it would be a good thing, we can directly select the book by browsing rather than searching for, copying and pasting the file path!
Actually, showing a browse button (often shows as [...]) in some GUI's is not something that the engine can do. It is totally up to the GUI to decide to show a browse button or not. I did notice that some GUI's (such as Aquarium and possibly Arena) will show a browse button if the parameter type is a string and the parameter name ends with the word file. That is why I made sure all "browsable" params in Eman end with "file" in their name.
Out of Curiosity, what GUI are you using that does not show the browse button? Also, does this same GUI show the browse button for other engines? If yes, what is the parameter name for which a browse button is shown?
I am using Arena 3.5.1 for running book tournaments but other engines Cfish, Stockfish they all get the display of this browsing option for all parameters in which some file has to be selected and your engine also has browse options but it is not there just for the book options. And one more point I noticed is when I defined path in Arena 3.5.1 for the book, it did not read in the very first attempt, but after two to three attempts it read from the book and played the move.
innocent wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:48 pm 2. What is verbose setting for? What difference it make if we keep it on and off? (How to use it in best way?)
If you enable the Verbose parameter then Eman will communicate more information with the GUI about search progress. Specifically, the information about searching the same depth, but a new move.
Enabling or disabling the Verbose option does not affect engine strength at all.
Thank you for telling me this.
innocent wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:48 pm 3. And what is experience book for? (How to use it in best way? It seems different from book 1 and 2 option)
Experience book is an ON/OFF option. IF you enable it then Eman will try to find a good move from the stored moves in the experience file. IF you don't have a good move, or you don't have moves at all for the current position, then Eman will resort to normal "thinking" in order to find a move to play.
So inherently one is advised to set this option to true right so at least the engine first tries to find the best move in the first place?
Also there is a message "Could not open Eman.bin"
https://prnt.sc/vxs26y
How can we open it? What are advantages of opening it?
Best regards!!
pakitog
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:56 am

Re: Eman 6.61 release notes (2020-12-07)

Post by pakitog »

Thanks!!.
User avatar
KhalidOmar
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:21 pm

Re: Eman 6.61 release notes (2020-12-07)

Post by KhalidOmar »

innocent wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:32 pm I am using Arena 3.5.1 for running book tournaments but other engines Cfish, Stockfish they all get the display of this browsing option for all parameters in which some file has to be selected and your engine also has browse options but it is not there just for the book options. And one more point I noticed is when I defined path in Arena 3.5.1 for the book, it did not read in the very first attempt, but after two to three attempts it read from the book and played the move.
Then my theory is right :)

The book parameters in Eman are called (Book 1 and Book 2) so Arena does not show the [Browse] button because there is no "File" word in the parameter names. I will change the parameter names to Book 1 File and Book 2 File, this should fix the problem

It is very strange that Eman does not play from the book on the first and second attempt, but works after that. Are you doing any changes in the parameters to make it work?
innocent wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:32 pm So inherently one is advised to set this option to true right so at least the engine first tries to find the best move in the first place?
I would say, yes and no. Yes if you are playing short time controls. and No if you are playing long time controls (to allow the engine to use experience data and hopefully find a better move)
innocent wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:32 pm Also there is a message "Could not open Eman.bin"
https://prnt.sc/vxs26y
How can we open it? What are advantages of opening it?
Eman.bin is the default Book 1 file name. I do not author or distribute opening books. You should change this parameter to the name of the book you are using (example: Cerebellum.bin) or if you want to get rid of the message completely then you should change it to <empty>
innocent
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:03 pm

Re: Eman 6.61 release notes (2020-12-07)

Post by innocent »

KhalidOmar wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:04 pm
innocent wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:32 pm I am using Arena 3.5.1 for running book tournaments but other engines Cfish, Stockfish they all get the display of this browsing option for all parameters in which some file has to be selected and your engine also has browse options but it is not there just for the book options. And one more point I noticed is when I defined path in Arena 3.5.1 for the book, it did not read in the very first attempt, but after two to three attempts it read from the book and played the move.
Then my theory is right :)

The book parameters in Eman are called (Book 1 and Book 2) so Arena does not show the [Browse] button because there is no "File" word in the parameter names. I will change the parameter names to Book 1 File and Book 2 File, this should fix the problem

It is very strange that Eman does not play from the book on the first and second attempt, but works after that. Are you doing any changes in the parameters to make it work?
innocent wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:32 pm So inherently one is advised to set this option to true right so at least the engine first tries to find the best move in the first place?
I would say, yes and no. Yes if you are playing short time controls. and No if you are playing long time controls (to allow the engine to use experience data and hopefully find a better move)
innocent wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:32 pm Also there is a message "Could not open Eman.bin"
https://prnt.sc/vxs26y
How can we open it? What are advantages of opening it?
Eman.bin is the default Book 1 file name. I do not author or distribute opening books. You should change this parameter to the name of the book you are using (example: Cerebellum.bin) or if you want to get rid of the message completely then you should change it to <empty>
Perfect!
For 1: The first or sometimes second attempt book loading happens only sometimes not always.
But I will share screenvideo with you if it happens next time so it can be tracked.

Thank you for all your replies. :) :mrgreen:
Post Reply