Daily Tours

Here post questions relating to the tours.
Kevin
Site Admin

Daily Tours

Post by Kevin »

Adjustment to our daily Tours, books up to 12 moves maximum (12 for White and 12 for Black).

Week commencing 10th August 2020

Monday to Friday tours as usual.
Saturday book depth 12
Sunday book depth 12

If a player misses to adjust their engine's book options to the limit of 12 moves, they will forfeit the rated game. If they do so a second time in the same tournament they forfeit game and they will be taken out of tour.

Amended 09/08/20
Kevin
Site Admin

Re: Daily Tours

Post by Kevin »

One of the reasons to change the tour format is to see if limited book depth would help to reduce the high draw rate.

Some have raised the question about Leela, NNUE and learning. Most if not all users will be using them any way to be competitive.

One negative point about book depth limiting may upset those that have many days if not years building their books.
Marsell

Post by Marsell »

What does this mean for Eman users? An extract from the Eman website:
Experience Book:
This option allows the engine to play moves directly from the experience file (without thinking). In other words, the experience file will be used as a book.
Kevin
Site Admin

Post by Kevin »

Eman users will have to not use Experience Book option, by default the Experience Book is off.

One can see if Experience Book is enabled by the zero time used in the notation for several moves in a row.
Thor

Post by Thor »

We all know the reasons why so many drawn games. Engines as you mentioned (Leela, NNUE and learning).

Engine Authors work very hard and spend a lot of time programming, coming up with new ideas, supporting their users and have a big heart in sharing their work (so hats off to them and many thanks). 8-)

Unfortunately , this is having a negative effect on engine tour matches. But they are great for human play against these engines. I'm sure chess masters, beginners and so on can really take advantage of this. (players that play in engine matches can research moves, lines they are not aware of).

Also, I will confirm that I am one of those people (One negative point about book depth limiting may upset those that have many days if not years building their books). :(

It has been very difficult to get a win with no book move limit. Now will be even harder! I hope we do not lose any players that may not want to abide but the new rules.

Going to be very difficult as you know for the TD's to keep track of all the players in tours to ensure they are not breaking the 12 move book rule and as what was already mentioned here .exp files and other engines using the .bin files for their learning files (if they are included).

However, I am willing to give this a try and see how it goes. :roll: :)

Best of luck to all and may the force be with you :D
Kevin
Site Admin

Post by Kevin »

Please note the amendment to the announcement, Book Limit now only applies to tours on Saturday and Sunday.

Monday to Friday tours as usual.
Thor

Post by Thor »

Have been speaking with other people that play in engine tours. Also, thinking more about where the new engine technologies are taking us and perhaps I need to sit back. relax and try to enjoy the ride.

As they say better to flow with the direction of the wind or get blown over and pushed aside something like that lol. Perhaps I have been selfish not wanting to change my ways. I suppose I'm acting like an old dog who has gotten used to the same brand of dog bone that he has gotten used to munching on.

Haven't made much effort In seeing things from the engine authors point of view as well as other players who use weaker pc's. Perhaps the engine authors are enjoying this new challenge and has revived their spirit and given them new energy to program these new engines.

As many here know I have been quite vocal lately in public chats sorry about that. Finally though I still maintain in my own opinion that limiting book moves is not the way to go and it will cause trouble in these tours. Worst case scenario would be that some players may not play on days that we do this. The more happy the members are the better chance we have of expanding our player base. ;-)
Thor

Post by Thor »

Please also see the topic "CHESS ENGINES New Technology" which directly relates to this topic.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=327
Kevin
Site Admin

Post by Kevin »

I have noticed after some examining of games in book limit tours that some users have set Eman Experience Book option to true :( This option should be set to false during Book limited Tours
Kevin
Site Admin

Post by Kevin »

The Book Limit tour trials have now ended, we are now back to normal tours on Saturdays and Sundays.

Thanks to all who took part, much appreciated.