Freestyle Chess Tours

Here post questions relating to the tours.
Kevin
Site Admin

Re: Freestyle Chess Tours

Post by Kevin »

Some Thoughts about Freestyle Chess Today
By Arno Nickel

"Those who have been following the matter so far will have noticed that we have postponed the start to November 13/14 for scheduling reasons and because the number of registrations so far has been too low (14 + "x", i.e. some are still considering ...) and have modified the further schedule."
continue reading HERE
Kevin
Site Admin

Post by Kevin »

Check here details/amendments to forthcoming Tour http://infinitychess.com/Tournaments/Forthcoming

Reminder to those that have not registered or sent entry fee please do so asap.
Eduard

Post by Eduard »

I have the following problem (latest GUI version):

1. In the engine room I wanted to train against engines in Cenraur mode, but it didn't work.

This message comes when you request:

The window where you load engines looks like this:

Nothing goes! The GUI hangs up and I can only close everything with the task manager.

2. Then I went to the freestyle tournament room, but you can't challenge anyone there, not even without rating.

What should I do now, can I even participate like this? In any case, training is not possible!
Kevin
Site Admin

Post by Kevin »

If your in Centaur mode you can only load engine in kibitzer mode when a game board is open.

The kibitzer engine is fixed to analyse just the current position on the board and will follow the notation as it changes.

If you want the engine to play moves in the game then you will need to set to engine mode instead of centaur mode before the game board opens.

You can not change game mode once the board appears.
Eduard

Post by Eduard »

But no board is displayed! After choosing Centaur and accepting a challenge, the first error message appears in the picture. When I close that, no board appears. I can choose a Kiebitzer, but no board appears (see second photo). GUI freezes and I cannot close a window. I have to choose the task manager.

I have two computers: one with Windows 10 Pro and a new laptop (only 2 weeks old) with Windows 10 Home. The same thing happens with both PCs! I installed everything that is necessary (from Framework 3.5, which was not installed on my laptop). I don't understand any of this, sorry.

I did some tests in the Freestyle Chess room (not the new tour room). ENG mode works for both players. Human mode also works when both players are playing in the mode. But as soon as one is in Centaur mode, nothing works. GUI hangs. I also had to deactivate the "Challenger Sends Move" challenge so that I could play in ENG mode for both players.

It's all too complicated for me. Couldn't you test yourself whether it works better for you? And then please confirm here. Thanks!
Eduard

Post by Eduard »

I have now taken my 11 year old laptop (formerly Win 7, now updated to Win 10), and it actually shows the board in Centaur mode and it works.

What's wrong with my two newer computers? One is 2 years old, one 2 weeks.

I think the InfinityGUI is out of date.

Maybe it's the framework? The fact is that my new laptop installs the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (only newest version!), But it refuses to install the old version that can be downloaded from the InfinityChess homepage. The security regulations at Microsoft have also been increased, maybe that is also the reason? In any case, I made my two newer win 10 pcs suitable for Win 11 and activated the hardware security.

I also installed vcredist_x86.zip (4.8 mb) on my two newer PCs so that I could even load the books. I am frustrated. What is still missing now?
Eduard

Post by Eduard »

I'm sorry if I have to criticize, but what should I do?

Here I downloaded Framework 4.5 from the InfinityChess homepage. My new PCs refuse to install it:

I don't understand why you don't test new PCs and software before you start a tournament like this? Many buy new PCs and have problems with old software!
Kevin
Site Admin

Post by Kevin »

Most new/newish machines have the required net framework already on the comps but not enabled.

You can enable them by pressing Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog, type “optionalfeatures”, and press Enter.

The list of available Windows features appears. If a feature has a checkmark next to it, it’s enabled. If a feature doesn’t have a checkmark, it’s disabled.

If you see a square in a box, the feature contains multiple sub-features and only some of them are enabled. You can expand the feature to see which of its sub features are and aren’t enabled.

We have tested on win 7, win 10, win 10 for workstation and windows server editions.

Some of the users on infinitychess have also tested on windows 11 and reported infinitychess works too.
Eduard

Post by Eduard »

Everything works for me, except Centaur mode. What exactly do I have to activate? Currently it looks like this for me:

On my old laptop with Win 10 Home, with which the Centaur mode works, contains the same features as in the picture above. Everything is exactly the same. :roll:
The processors are different. With the old laptop I have an old Intel processor, the two newer ones are Ryzen 9 3900X and Ryzen 7 5700H.
Eduard

Post by Eduard »

Here is another picture. With my old Intel laptop (11 years old) I can load an engine in Centaur mode and the board is visible beforehand. On my two Ryzen PCs, no board is visible here. I can even choose an engine. But then this error message comes up. The GUI freezes and I can only close InfinityChess via the task manager: